Sales people sometimes do not understand the necessary steps to sell more effectively, saving their time and effort. This article will give you 5 selling skills that are widely applied in the sales processes of famous businesses in the world.
>>> 9 Weaknesses of Sales people that lead to failure
Sales Methodology – What is Sales Methodology?
The sales methodology is how you set goals, then define specific action steps to achieve them.
Unlike the sales process, sales methods or sales skills are often not applied throughout the entire sales cycle. Instead, it only deals with certain arrays.
The difference between the sales process and the skills, the sales method is not only that. All businesses have to build a separate sales process on their own, depending on the market, segment, product, and brand position in the industry. The process that works for one business may not be applicable to another.
But conversely, all the different sales teams, can apply the same sales skills.
If you are still quite confused, immediately read the summary of 5 famous sales skills below.
>> See more:
- Solve 20 Common Rejections
- What is Upsell? Upsell and Cross-selling application to increase sales revenue
1) The Art of Selling SPIN
Neil Rackham is the father of SPIN selling skills in his book of the same name “SPIN Selling”
What does SPIN stand for?
SPIN is an acronym for the four types of questions that salespeople must ask customers: Situation, Problem, Implication, and Need-Payoff.
- The status question is intended to capture the current state of the client (although preliminary research is still required before meeting or calling)
- Questions about the problem that the customer is facing
- Impact questions to probe customers’ attitudes about the consequences of not solving problems.
- The inciting question to convince the customer how the situation would change if the problem were resolved.
Here is an example of the SPIN sales skill
- How is your company’s recruitment process?
- Are you having trouble finding qualified candidates to fill leadership positions?
- If leadership positions are not filled quickly, how will it affect you?
- If you have a list of qualified skilled candidates, how will it help the HR department and the whole business?
Instead of constantly telling customers how good it is to buy a product or use a service, how it will affect them, SPIN’s goal is to give suggestions to help customers realize this for themselves.
2) Conceptual Selling
Conceptual selling is a selling skill that is based on the idea that customers are not essentially buying a product or service, they are buying the solution you provide.
This method encourages salespeople to ask intelligent questions based on 5 categories of questions, to understand the customer’s buying decision.
- Information confirmation question .
- Questions about new information , explore customers’ imagination about products and services, what goals they want to achieve.
- Attitude questions to find out the individuality of the customer
- Commitment question
- Questions about common problems
The most effective sales method relies heavily on listening, and then breaks it down into three phases: information gathering, information delivery, and commitment acquisition. All transactions take place in the direction of mutual benefits, if one of the two parties is not satisfied, the transaction will not be successful.
3) SNAP sales skills
SNAP is an acronym for: Simplicity , iNvaluable , Align , and Priorities . With these rules in place, salespeople will effectively reach busy customers, connect what matters most to their most potential customers, and make the buying and selling process easier.
>>> 9 Quick and easy sales closing tips
4) Challenger Sale – Challenging sales skills
Authors Matthew Dixon and Brent Adamson begin “The Challenger Sale” by asserting that every salesperson can be classified in five ways: Relationship builder, hard worker, loner, problem solver, and challenger.
According to the two authors’ own research, those in the challenge sales group make up 40% of the list of the most successful salespeople.
So what are challenging salespeople to do?
1. Reach customers sooner.
2. Hold your ground.
3. Talk about your insights rather than talking about the product’s features or benefits.
4. Build trust with useful information
Find out what is Marketing Mix
5) CustomerCentric Selling – Selling from the customer base
The core of this selling skill is to turn the salesperson from a pushover to a consultant. This method manifests itself in 8 factors:
- Ask about the situation instead of giving introductory speech
- Ask relevant questions instead of giving a subjective opinion
- Focus on solutions instead of relationships
- Focus on the audience that decides to buy instead of the user
- Promote how to use the product instead of just the product
- Try to be the best sales person, not the busiest
- Empower customers to buy and sell, instead of trying to convince them
- Selling attitude builds trust