Metalize film grafting is a necessary step for those who want to increase the aesthetics and durability of product packaging. Metalize paper is a type of paper that is laminated through a metalized process in a vacuum.
1. What is Metalize Film Paper?
Metalize paper is a material (paper or film) that is coated with a layer of metal (usually aluminum) and a layer of glossy or translucent vanish to decorate or increase the resistance properties of Metalize paper.
As well as printing common paper materials such as Ford , Bristol , Ivory , Couche , Metalize film is also produced by a closed process, which is called Metalize film production technology.
On the market today, Metalize film paper is created from the following 2 technologies:
- Aluminum foil lamination: using aluminum film with a thickness of 9-12 micros laminated on one side of the paper. This method is limited because it consumes a large amount of aluminum, which wastes raw materials
- Vacuum Metalize Lamination: This type of film is created by melting aluminum in a vacuum environment, at a temperature of 1500 degrees Celsius, aluminum will be evaporated in a vacuum and adhered to the surface of the paper. This aluminum layer has a quantitative range of less than 0.1g/m2, which saves fuel about 300 times.
2. What does Metalize Film Lamination do?
Paper after being laminated with Metalize film will bring outstanding advantages that ordinary paper cannot do:
- Moisture-proof, waterproof, air-proof
- For vivid, sparkling colors
- Has the ability to keep color well over time
- Helps protect packaging from external factors such as pressure, light, temperature
- Aluminum film is designed through a drying process that meets quality standards, ensuring food hygiene and safety.
- Using Metalize film laminated paper for product packaging will increase the value of the product thanks to the metallic reflective effect.
With these characteristics, Metalize paper is applied as packaging and boxes of high-quality products because the effect that this paper creates is very beautiful, increasing the value of the product. Metalize paper is often used as packaging for cosmetics, drugs, clothing bags, food packaging, toothpaste boxes, wine boxes, gift wrapping paper, etc.
3. Metalize film classification
For customers to easily choose, Metalize Film includes the following types:
- MCPP: CPP Metalized – CPP film is plated with translucent white metal ion (Aluminum).
- MOPP: OPP Metalized – OPP film is plated with slightly bright metal ions (Si).
- MBON: Nylon Metalized – PA film coated with slightly bright white metal ion (Si).
- MPET: Polyester Metalized – PET film coated with shiny white metal ion (Si).
4. Metalize . Film Lamination Process
Indirect (4 steps)
- Step 1: Coat a layer of metal on the plastic roll by metallizing in vacuum. We get a roll of metallized film.
- Step 2: Then, glue the metallized film roll on with the paper with glue.
- Step 3: Wait for the glue to dry and stabilize.
- Step 4: Separate the plastic layer from the paper roll, leaving only the metal layer on the surface of the paper.
The metallization process is carried out directly on the surface of the paper, it is divided into 2 steps:
- Step 1: The paper roll is coated with varnish before metallizing.
- Step 2: Then, the paper roll is metallized in a vacuum environment.
Advantages, disadvantages and application scope of the two methods above:
- Low cost should be highly competitive in the market of cigarette labels and packaging.
- The production process is simpler.
- Currently, direct metallized paper has an enhanced gloss that is close to that of metallized by indirect methods.
- Often used to make packaging products, labels, etc., normally.
- High gloss
- Can be metallized on most material surfaces.
- Especially suitable for decoration.
- Processing is more complicated and expensive.
- Because glue is used to join the film, it takes about 24 hours for the glue to dry and stabilize.
- Use for high-grade products with special properties or shapes.
- Since the direct metallization method is widely used, in this topic we will delve deeper into this method. The indirect metallization method is often used for high-quality products or has special shapes and properties, so it is less common.
Direct metallization process
- The direct metallization process takes place in three independent stages:
- Varnishing: Apply a thin layer of varnish on the surface of the coated material before metallizing. Metallization: the varnish coated paper in the above step is put into the “metallization chamber” to cover it with a layer of aluminum. The “metallized tube” is a large tube intended to create a vacuum environment to carry out the metallization process.
- Lacquer coating: Finally, a thin layer of transparent or colored lacquer is applied to the paper.
Varnishing is the first treatment to the substrate surface prior to the metallization tube. Varnishing is performed to smooth the substrate surface and increase the adhesion between the substrate and the metallized film.
Varnish is applied to the paper by a varnish coating machine similar to a gravure printer. The paper after varnish coating must be passed through the drying unit to dry the vanishing solvent, the moisture content after drying must be 2-3%. Next, it will be passed through cooling batches so that the paper does not stick together when the roll is collected.
The amount of varnish depends on the end use of the metallized paper. Control the varnish coating process
For continuous control of the correct coating of paper:
- Continuously check the following factors for the coating to achieve the desired quality.
- Control the viscosity of varnish.
- Control the humidity, the amount of varnish on the paper.
- Use quality control sheets to detect possible errors in a timely manner.
Types of varnish
There are three commonly used types: acrylic, acrylic-styrene and nitrocellulose. Each varnish is selected according to the requirements of the final product:
- Type of varnish (gloss/matte, light fastness level, …)
- The mechanical requirement is that the product must be durable (flexible, moisture resistant, etc.)
- Bond the aluminum layer and the lacquer layer together.
Metalize paper is a type of paper that is effective in both form and protection for product packaging. Therefore, this type of paper is increasingly used by businesses to produce packaging.
Please learn more: